November is here and this is a great time to get your fall cow-calf management plan together to prepare your cows for the cold weather ahead. Moreover, here are some great tips for the months ahead:
Fall Cow-Calf Management Reminders
• Check with your Extension office for information on educational meetings about livestock and forage production
• If fall calving, lactating cows need to be in good condition for breeding, a BCS of at least 5.5. Treat cattle for lice if needed.
• Also, during spring calving check the weaned steer and heifer calves regularly to produce desired gains.
• In spring calving enterprises, if culling is not completed in September and October. Moreover, it should be completed this month.
•Check your financial management plan and make appropriate adjustments before the end of the year.
•Monitor the herd continuously for health problems.
• Treat cows for internal parasites if needed.
• If spring calving, identify the purebred herds and test stations at which you want to look for herd sires. Furthermore, check sale dates and review performance criteria to use.
Also, visit your local Olsen’s Grain to learn more about fall cow/calf management.
Published by Oklahoma State University Extension
(all other months available at:) http://www.thecattlesite.com/articles/998/beef-cow-herd-calendar