Nutrena SafeChoice Original
Safechoice Original Horse Feed is the time-tested controlled starch formula for all life stages. Nutritionally balanced for growing and mature horses alike, SafeChoice Original helps make feeding a wide range of horses more convenient – without sacrificing nutritional quality or peace of mind.
Guaranteed maximums of starch and sugar levels
Ideal for horses with digestive disturbances
- Topline Balance:
Including Topline Balance, the Nutrena brand’s unique approach to topline health
- Organic Trace Minerals:
To support immune system strength, we include organic trace mineral complexes
- Consistent Nutrients:
Every bag of Nutrena feed delivers consistent nutrient levels
- Prebiotics Probiotics:
Added prebiotics and probiotics support the intestinal microbes to help your horse achieve more efficient absorption of nutrients.
Be sure to stop into either one of our locations to browse our full stock of equine feed & supplies including Nutrena SafeChoice Original Horse Feed. Have questions? Be sure to contact us with any questions you may have. Our knowledgeable staff is eager to help you find the best solutions for your equine.
Smart Grain Formulation®
What makes some feeds better than others? What nutrients really make a difference in your horse's health? And how do we deliver the right combination for your animal? Those were our questions. Smart Grain Formulation® is our answer.
|Crude Fiber||max. 15.0%|
|Dietary Starch*||max. 17.0%|
|Calcium||0.90 - 1.20%|
|Vitamin A||3,000 IU/lb|
|Vitamin D||350 IU/lb|
|Vitamin E||100 IU/lb|
|Lactobacillus acidophilus||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Lactobacillus casei||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Bifidobacterium thermophilum||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Enterococcus Faecium||5.1M CFU/lb|
* NSC (Non-structural Carbohydrates) = Dietary Starch + Sugar
|Life Stage||Activity Level||Lbs Feed per 100 Lbs Bodyweight|
|Maintenance||Maintenance||0.25 - 0.5|
|Pregnant Mares||First two trimesters of gestation||0.25 - 0.5|
|Pregnant Mares||Last trimester of gestation||0.5 - 0.75|
|Lactating Mares||Early lactation (foaling to 3 months)||1.0 - 1.5|
|Lactating Mares||Late lactation (3 months to weaning)||0.75 - 1.0|
|Performance Horses||Light exercise||0.5 - 0.75|
|Performance Horses||Moderate exercise||0.75 - 1.0|
|Performance Horses||Intense exercise||1.0 - 1.5|
|Growing Horses*||Foals||Creep feed|
|Growing Horses*||Weanlings||1.5 - 2.0|
|Growing Horses*||Yearlings||0.75 - 1.5|
- Use the feeding table as a guide for feeding SafeChoice® Original. Be sure to monitor your horse's body condition closely and adjust the feeding rate as necessary for the desired body condition and activity level.
- Feed clean, good quality hay at the rate of 1.0 to 1.75 lb (kg) of hay per 100 lb (kg) of bodyweight per day or the pasture equivalent.
- Divide the recommended feeding level into two or more equally spaced feedings per day.
- Fresh, clean water should be available at all times, except to hot and tired horses. Always cool down your horse properly before providing free access to water.
- Horses should be maintained at a body condition score of 5 or above. Broodmares should have a body condition score of 6 or above prior to foaling.
- Salt should be available free choice at all times.
Tips for a Healthy Horse:
- All dietary changes should be made gradually over a period of 7-14 days until recommended feeding rates are achieved.
- Make certain that horses have adequate forage or pasture available.
- Make certain that all horses are on regular parasite control, dental examination and vaccination programs.
- Monitor body condition regularly and adjust feed intake as needed.
- Store feed properly to prevent exposure to moisture or contamination by insects or other pests.
- Never offer moldy hay or feed to horses.