Nutrena SafeChoice Senior Horse Feed
Nutrena SafeChoice Senior Horse Feed is specially designed formula for the older horse with high fat, controlled starch, and key ingredients. SafeChoice Senior gives your old friend what she needs to make every year golden. It’s specifically designed for older horses over the age of fifteen, especially those suffering from unexpected age-related weight loss, exhibiting sluggishness, experiencing issues with muscle or coat quality, or having difficulty chewing their hay.
- Nutri-Bloom Advantage
Increases fiber digestion by up to 15% and digestible energy by up to 5%. So your horse gets more nutrition from every bite.
- Balanced Omegas
Balanced Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acid levels from rice brand and flaxseed
Highly digestible fiber sources allow you to feed SafeChoice Senior by itself, without hay or pasture.
Formula enhanced with antioxidants – including selenium and vitamins C and E – to support aged immune systems and help minimize the effects of stress.
- Topline Balance
Including Topline Balance, the Nutrena brand’s unique approach to topline health
- Balanced Sources
Guaranteed maximums of starch and sugar levels
Be sure to stop into either one of our locations to browse our full stock of equine feed & supplies including Nutrena SafeChoice Senior Horse Feed. Have questions? Be sure to contact us with any questions you may have. Our knowledgeable staff is eager to help you find the best solutions for your equine.
Smart Grain Formulation®
What makes some feeds better than others? What nutrients really make a difference in your horse's health? And how do we deliver the right combination for your animal? Those were our questions. Smart Grain Formulation® is our answer.
|Crude Fiber||max. 16.0%|
|Dietary Starch*||max. 14.0%|
|Calcium||0.75 - 0.95%|
|Vitamin A||4,500 IU/lb|
|Vitamin D||150 IU/lb|
|Vitamin E||150 IU/lb|
|Vitamin C||75 mg/lb|
|Lactobacillus acidophilus||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Lactobacillus casei||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Bifidobacterium thermophilum||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Enterococcus Faecium||5.1M CFU/lb|
* NSC (Non-structural Carbohydrates) = Dietary Starch + Sugar
|Weight of Horse||Maintenance||Light Work|
|When Fed Without Hay or Pasture|
|800lb||10 - 12 lbs||12 - 14 lbs|
|1,000lb||12 - 14 lbs||14 - 16 lbs|
|1,200lb||14 - 16 lbs||16 - 18 lbs|
|When Fed With Hay or Pasture|
|800lb||4 - 6 lbs||6 - 8 lbs|
|1,000lb||5 - 7 lbs||7 - 10 lbs|
|1,200lb||6 - 8 lbs||8 - 12 lbs|
- Use the feeding table as a guide for feeding SafeChoice Senior Horse Feed. Be sure to monitor your horse's body condition closely and adjust the feeding rate as necessary for the desired body condition and activity level.
- If your horse has no dental problems, feed clean, good quality hay at the rate of 1.0 to 1.75 lb (kg) of hay per 100 lb (kg) of bodyweight per day or the pasture equivalent.
- If your horse has severe dental problems, SafeChoice Senior horse feed may be soaked with warm water to form QuickMash in just 3 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency your horse prefers.
- Divide the recommended feeding level into two or more equally spaced feedings per day.
- Fresh, clean water should be available at all times, except to hot and tired horses. Always cool down your horse properly before providing free access to water.
- Horses should be maintained at a body condition score of 5 or above. Broodmares should have a body condition score of 6 or above prior to foaling.
- Salt should be available free choice at all times.
Tips for a Healthy Horse:
- All dietary changes should be made gradually over a period of 7-14 days until recommended feeding rates are achieved.
- Make certain that horses have adequate forage or pasture available.
- Make certain that all horses are on regular parasite control, dental examination and vaccination programs.
- Monitor body condition regularly and adjust feed intake as needed.
- Store feed properly to prevent exposure to moisture or contamination by insects or other pests.
- Never offer moldy hay or feed to horses.