Nutrena SafeChoice Special Care
Nutrena SafeChoice Special Care Horse Feed is a low controlled starch formula for horses with metabolic concerns and easy keepers. SafeChoice Special Care is specially designed for horses that are prone to metabolic issues related to starch intake. It’s also ideal for easy keepers, ponies, and miniature horses.
Lowest levels of starch and sugar in the SafeChoice lineup
- No Corn
Corn and corn co-product free
- Prebiotics Probiotics
Added prebiotics and probiotics support the intestinal microbes to help your horse achieve more efficient absorption of nutrients.
- Consistent Nutrients
Every bag of Nutrena feed delivers consistent nutrient levels
- Organic Trace Minerals
To support immune system strength, we include organic trace mineral complexes
- Topline Balance
Including Topline Balance, the Nutrena brand’s unique approach to topline health
Be sure to stop into either one of our locations to browse our full stock of equine feed & supplies including Nutrena SafeChoice Special Care Horse Feed. Have questions? Be sure to contact us with any questions you may have. Our knowledgeable staff is eager to help you find the best solutions for your equine.
Smart Grain Formulation®
What makes some feeds better than others? What nutrients really make a difference in your horse's health? And how do we deliver the right combination for your animal? Those were our questions. Smart Grain Formulation® is our answer.
|Crude Fiber||max. 15.0%|
|Dietary Starch*||max. 11.0%|
|Calcium||0.90 - 1.20%|
|Vitamin A||3,000 IU/lb|
|Vitamin D||350 IU/lb|
|Vitamin E||100 IU/lb|
|Lactobacillus acidophilus||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Lactobacillus casei||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Bifidobacterium thermophilum||5.1M CFU/lb|
|Enterococcus Faecium||5.1M CFU/lb|
* NSC (Non-structural Carbohydrates) = Dietary Starch + Sugar
|Life Stage||Activity Level||Lbs Feed per 100 Lbs Bodyweight|
|Maintenance||Maintenance||0.25 - 0.5|
|Pregnant Mares||First two trimesters of gestation||0.25 - 0.5|
|Pregnant Mares||Last trimester of gestation||0.5 - 0.75|
|Lactating Mares||Early lactation (foaling to 3 months)||1.0 - 1.5|
|Lactating Mares||Late lactation (3 months to weaning)||0.75 - 1.0|
|Performance Horses||Light exercise||0.5 - 0.75|
|Growing Horses*||Foals||Creep feed|
|Growing Horses*||Weanlings||1.5 - 2.0|
|Growing Horses*||Yearlings||0.75 - 1.5|
- Use the feeding table as a guide for feeding SafeChoice® Special Care. Be sure to monitor your horse's body condition closely and adjust the feeding rate as necessary for the desired body condition and activity level.
- Feed clean, good quality hay at the rate of 1.0 to 1.75 lb (kg) of hay per 100 lb (kg) of bodyweight per day or the pasture equivalent.
- Divide the recommended feeding level into two or more equally spaced feedings per day.
- Fresh, clean water should be available at all times, except to hot and tired horses. Always cool down your horse properly before providing free access to water.
- Horses should be maintained at a body condition score of 5 or above. Broodmares should have a body condition score of 6 or above prior to foaling.
- Salt should be available free choice at all times.
Tips for a Healthy Horse:
- All dietary changes should be made gradually over a period of 7-14 days until recommended feeding rates are achieved.
- Make certain that horses have adequate forage or pasture available.
- Make certain that all horses are on regular parasite control, dental examination and vaccination programs.
- Monitor body condition regularly and adjust feed intake as needed.
- Store feed properly to prevent exposure to moisture or contamination by insects or other pests.
- Never offer moldy hay or feed to horses.